The basis on which my fees will be charged is set out in my letter of engagement. When payment of my fees is to be made is set out in my Standard Terms of Engagement.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
I hold indemnity insurance that meets or exceeds the minimum standards specified by the Law Society.
I maintain a procedure for handling any complaints, designed to ensure that a complaint is dealt with promptly and fairly. If you have a complaint about my services or charges I would ask that you contact me in the first instance to discuss the matter so I can try and resolve it.
If I have been unable to resolve a complaint or concern you may contact:
Client care and service information
Whatever legal services your lawyer is providing, he or she must —
- act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made:
- protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties:
- discuss with you your objectives and how they should best be achieved:
- provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the
services will be provided:
- charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable and let you know how and when you will be
- give you clear information and advice:
- protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality:
- treat you fairly, respectfully, and without discrimination:
- keep you informed about the work being done and advise you when it is completed:
- let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
The obligations lawyers owe to clients are described in the Rules of conduct and client care for lawyers (the rules). Those obligations are subject to other overriding duties, including duties to the courts and to the justice system.
If you have any questions, please visit www.lawsociety.org.nz or call 0800 261 801.
Limitation of obligations or liability and Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund
Any limitations on the extent of my obligations to you or any limitations or exclusions of liability are set out in my standard terms of engagement.
As a barrister sole the Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund does not provide any cover as I do not hold client’s funds.
I act as a barrister sole. This means that unless your instructions are ones to which an exemption applies, I can only accept instructions through the intervention of an instructing solicitor. My usual instructing solicitor is Nicola Hansen of the firm Hansen Law, however I am happy to accept instructions from any solicitor.